I’m going to be writing a few posts on my experiences in NYC, there were so many amazing people, places, and gastronomic delights.
Without a doubt the most ridiculous series of things I did in New York was eating at three 3 star restaurants in 24 hours. I started at Le Bernadin, which was easily the most polished of the 3. Insanely good seafood and everything I truly wanted from the experience. All details were impeccably thought out. No expenses spared. They are without a doubt one of the best restaurants I’ve ever dined at.
Here’s what I ate:
• Salmon rillettes amuse bouche
TUNA - Layers of Thinly Pounded Yellowfin Tuna; Foie Gras and Toasted Baguette, Shaved Chives and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
MONKFISH - Pan Roasted Monkfish; Morels, Ramps and Pickled Cabbage, Armagnac-Black Pepper Sauce
•Sesame – This dessert isn’t on the website yet but it had sesame ice cream with mangos, lime foam, some cookie and was incredible.
If you want to have an amazing meal I highly recommend dining here.
After I thoroughly enjoyed myself at Le Bernadin, I decided on a whim to try to get in to Jean Georges as they do a 2 course lunch at the bar for $39. Their bar was a bit of a cattle call, nowhere near as refined and elegant as Le Bernadin. The food was gorgeous, but the portions were big so I had a hard time eating it all. Maybe I shouldn’t have had 2nd lunch. Anyway here’s what I ate:
• Delightful trio of amuse
• Tuna Tartare ribbons with Avocado, Spicy Radish, Ginger Marinade
• Sautéed Cod - Mashed Herbs, Lime Compote
The experience was good, but having just been at Le Bernadin wasn’t exactly fair. I also didn’t eat it the JG dining room, so I would be happy to give it another chance.
Finally on Thursday I ate at Del Posto, then sat in High Line park before going to the airport. Del Posto knew I was coming and styled me out. They sent 6 amuse bouche before lunch even started. I must say I was a bit hung over so it was tough at first, but I “walked it off” and had an amazing meal. The space was beautiful in a more old school Italian way. Much more classically masculine than Le Bernadin.
• 6 amuse
• Bitter HERBS & LETTUCES - Truffle Dressing this salad was profound. I couldn’t believe the flavors in the dressing.
• GARGANELLI Verdi al Ragù Bolognese – The most beautifully green pasta I’ve ever had in the best Bolognese I’ve ever had. Incredible how they elevated this dish to this level.
• 3rd course isn’t on their menu but essentially it was a refined take on a Ligurian seafood stew with a tomato broth. Pretty incredibly, but overshadowed by the previous 2 courses.
• SFERA di Caprino Celery & Fig Agrodolce & Celery Sorbetto – creative and inspired dessert. Fascinating flavor combinations, but Le Bernadin was better here.
• Dessert Amuse x 4
Ridiculously awesome. I would go back to Del Posto in a heart beat.
Overall, this was a level of decadence that is high for me, particularly since I still went out and had dinner and drinks that the night between the lunches.
Stay tuned for the next post with more of my adventures.